Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What electronic translator should I purchase?

I am minoring in Japanese, so I want an electronic dictionary. But I also plan on studying Korean and maybe Chinese on the side. What would be a good electronic translator for this? Also, would it be more useful (with more words and phrases) if it only had one language on it, such as Japanese?





Thanks!|||Once you are looking for a handheld device, I'd recommend to go for the English-Japanese Ectaco Partner EJ900 electronic dictionary which seems to be very comprehensive and includes a large vocabulary. I own the English-Russian model produced by this company and I gotta tell you that it met my every expectation. What is truly exciting about this dictionary is that you can get other languages on SD cards and by simply swapping these cards you get another language on the same device.|||How about something with a decent web browser. That way you can access web based translation services like freetranslation.com or Google translations. Google databases entire phrases so it tries to translate by phrases, then by sentence structure and then word by word. Particularly when you are dealing with fundamentally different languages like Chinese, Korean and Japanese that share nothing with Indo-European languages then translating phrases are pretty much the only way to go.





I've used those handheld translators when on business in Brazil, pretty much worthless. Nothing beats Pimsleur and practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment