Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Canadian translators: what is the standard rate of pay per word?

Or is it per character?





I need to send a proper quote to a translation company but I'm not quite sure of what the standard going rate is?


I've done it before, for about 6 cents per word but that seemed a bit low to me.





Can anyone give me some info?


Thanks.|||Translators usually quote per word in Canada. However, there is no standard rate of pay. Rates can vary widely, anywhere from $0.06 a word up to over $0.20. You should set your rate per word based on your years of experience and language pair. If you're just starting out, set a lower rate than you will after 5+ years in the translation business.





As a freelance translator, typically you should charge lower rates to translation agencies or firms than you would to direct directs.

No comments:

Post a Comment